Hello Family!
We had a really great week here in Barahona. My comp and I are getting along just fine and are starting to really tear it up here in Barahona.
There is an event that missionaries know as a Noche Blanca. Its basically a gazillion baptisms in one night. My companion and I, with a ton of help from the branch, have a Noche Blanca planned a few months out. It will be amazing. To acheive this vision however, I personally have had to re-learn and embrace a key fundamental. Faith in Jesus Christ.
I will create an exhibit to explain my message:
Situation: Companionship setting goal of how many non-members will visit the church the coming Sunday.
Missionary A says, "I bet we can get all 5 of our strongest investigators to go. Let's set the goal at 5 or even 6.
Missionary B says, "Well, last week 2 went to church and the week before nobody, and the investigators arent really reading or praying and there isnt any help from the members in the ward. To be realistic, I think we should plan on 3 coming."
Notice the missionary B justified his goal based off of being "realistic". That just doesn't work. Faith in Christ and the miracles He does are not dependent on past events, common trends, or our own logic. But rather, our will aligned with His. A missionary with faith will recognize that anything and everything is possible with the help of Christ. But at the same time, recognizes that he has to get out and work his tail off, we can't just hope that 5 people show up to a baptismal service in a month, but we have to get out, find the people, get members involved, and help the person every step of the way come unto Christ- that's where the logic comes into play.
Faith isnt just an action- it's a laborious, often painful or frustrating, sacrifice of our whole being mixed with a strong determination and an abundance of hope in Christ. Paul had faith that the church would grow and be strengthened. And what did he do? Paul himself says,
23 Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I ammore; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.
24 Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
25 Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;
Faith isn't easy. It's not passive. Just as salvation was never easy for Christ, it will never be an easy task for us. Christ overcame all so we could too. Lets take advantage and put our all into Him.
I love you all very much! Until next week,
Thomas
No comments:
Post a Comment